Artist Evelyn Dunbar: Old Mother Hubbard may also be known as A Children’s Picture, c.1946 [HMO 798]

Artist Evelyn Dunbar (1906-1960): Old Mother Hubbard may also be known as A Children’s Picture, c.1946 [HMO 798]

Hover over the painting to magnify (there may be an initial delay while the magnified image is loaded)

Evelyn Dunbar (1906-1960):
Old Mother Hubbard may also be known as A Children’s Picture, c.1946 [HMO 798]
Framed (ref: 6771)

Oil on canvas
12 x 11¼ in. (30.2 x 28.7 cm)

See all works by Evelyn Dunbar oil allegory children war women Dunbar catalogue

Provenance: Roger Folley; Alasdair Dunbar; Hammer Mill Oast Collection

Exhibited: Evelyn Dunbar - The Lost Works, Pallant House Gallery, October 2015 - February 2016, cat no. 81.

Literature: Evelyn Dunbar - The Lost Works, Sacha Llewellyn & Paul Liss, July 2015, cat. 81page 125.

Having identified bare cupboards with agriculture unimproved by ICI products (Fig. 15), Dunbar returned to the theme with this rather gentler Old Mother Hubbard, perhaps intended as a decoration for her sisters’ The Children’s Shop.

FIG 15 Submission proof (with Dunbar’s correction) for a wartime ICI advertisement featuring an alternative version of Old Mother Hubbard. Printed document, date stamped 17 SEP 1943

The Children’s Shop & Commercial Design

Shop window of The Children’s Shop
on Rochester High Street.

"There was clearly a strong entrepreneurial streak in the Dunbar family. In December 1938 an article in The Chatham News proclaimed that ‘Although today there are half-a-dozen flourishing businesses associated under the name Dunbar, the family was unknown in Strood when the twentieth century was born.’ 
William, Evelyn’s father, had come south from Scotland some time in the latter years of the nineteenth century, first to Reading and then briefly to Bournemouth before finally setting up in business as a bespoke tailor and draper in Rochester, Kent, ‘the archaeologist’s and the historian’s heaven’ as Richard Church described it. 
During the interwar years as the Dunbar children grew to 
maturity the name became ubiquitous in Rochester High Street: Evelyn’s brother Ronald branched out into radios and bicycles while two of her sisters, Jessie and Marjorie, opened The Children’s Shop. For several years the living accommodation above this shop at 244 High Street was also the family home until William bought The Cedars across the Medway at Strood.
Jessie and Marjorie were only one year apart in age, they never married and were like twins living for each other happy in themselves, delighting in their work dressing small children, and firm in their in their adherence to the Christian Science faith in which their mother had reared them. They established The Children’s Shop soon after the end of World War I and Evelyn, though still in her early ‘teens was happy to help. Even when her commitments at the Royal College of Art and Brockley shifted the focus of her activity to London, she continued to assist designing headed notepaper (CAT 79) and other stationery (CAT 77), lettering publicity panels and painting the delightful signboard for the shop with its frolicking mice and sparrows (CAT 76).
In 1938, some eighteen years after opening The Children’s Shop, the two sisters
expanded their business interests when they took over a well-established haberdashery further down the High Street, including, according to a notice in The Chatham News, its stock of rare silks: they renamed it The Fancy Shop. Their brother Ronald’s business had by then expanded to such an extent that he took over Strood Hall and in December that year advertised a Home Comfort Exhibition and a Miniature Radiolympia with:
‘TELEVISION, FREE DEMONSTRATION DAILY: FURNITURE, a representative selection of the most up-to-date and attractive styles for Bedroom, Dining Room and Sitting Room: CHILDREN‘S WEAR and TOYS: Knitting Wools, ART NEEDLEWORK and Fancy Goods’. The gros point panel Opportunity (CAT 75) embroidered in wools from The Fancy Shop and copied from a 1936 painting by Evelyn might well have been one of the pieces of Art Needlework included in this display.
With the opening of The Fancy Shop at 168 High Street Evelyn took over the first floor to show paintings and items of antique furniture; she named her department the Blue Gallery and in March 1939 staged an ambitious exhibition of work by friends including Charles Mahoney, Allan Gwynne-Jones, Kenneth Rowntree and Edward Bawden as well as sculpture by Bainbridge Copnall. However, with war looming on the horizon, times were not propitious and the gallery soon closed and Evelyn found employment as an Official War Artist. The Christian Science Reading Room took over the vacant space in The Children’s Shop under the care of Jessie and Marjorie. "
Peyton Skipwith