Dorothy Mahoney (1902-1984):
Oak Cottage from the back garden, c. 1945
Framed (ref: 4789)
Watercolour over pen and ink
10 1/4 x 16 in. (26 x 40.5 cm.)
See all works by Dorothy Mahoney ink pen and ink watercolour houses WOMEN
Provenance: The Artists Daughter; thence by descent
Oak Cottage, (purchased by Charles Mahoney just beforre the Second World War), was Dorothy's first experience of living in an old house in the country and owning her own home. For both artists it became an endless source of inspiration and the setting for much of their work
Dorothy Mahoney (ne Bishop) entered the RCA School of Design in 1924
with Book Illustration as her principal subject. From 1926-28 she took
lettering and illumination as her principal subject under Edward
Johnston, to whom, during this period, she became student-assistant.
Her subsidiary subjects were wood engraving, pottery, bookbinding and
embroidery. It is likely that this rare un- numbered wood engraving
dates to this period.
In 1929 she was appointed Deputy Assistant to Edward Johnston, giving lectures, demonstrations, and classes in his absence.
In 1940 when the RCA was evacuated to Ambleside in the Lake District she became better acquainted with fellow teacher Charles Mahoney whom she married the following year.
Both had in common an unbridled enthusiasm for plants - a passion which before the war Mahoney had shared with Edward Bawden, Geoffrey Rhoades, John Nash and Evelyn Dunbar, the latter with whom he published Gardener's Choice in 1937. The correspondence between this circle is full of exchanges about the discovery, nurturing and drawing of new potential subjects facilitated by sending to each otherplant cuttings sent by post.
Oak Cottage, in Wrotham Kent, where Dorothy and Charles lived after the war and for the rest of their lives, was a source of immense inspiration for both artists. Once the garden that they planted had matured Charles especially rarely went elsewhere for inspiration.
A small selection of work by Dorothy Mahoney is on display at The British Museum.